AI and Computer Vision
Edge Computing Platform Overview
The power of EdgeAI brought to small satellites
CogniSAT-XE1TM AI and Computer Vision Payload Processing Board Overview
The power of Myriad 2
brought to small satellites
The Ubotica CogniSAT-XE1 On-Board AI Payload Processor brings the power of Computer Vision (CV) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) compute acceleration to a PC/104 form-factor for SmallSat and CubeSat missions. It is built around the Intel® Movidius™ Myriad™ 2 CV and AI COTS Vision Processing Unit (VPU) whose 12 vector cores provide high-performance parallel and hardware accelerated compute within a low power envelope.
Widely Adaptable for AI and
Computer Vision Deployments
Flexible and Integration Ready
CogniSAT-XE1 combines the power efficient compute of the Myriad 2 VPU with a wide range of interfaces and peripherals, providing broad flexibility for integration into satellite platforms. Either Gigabit Ethernet or USB2.0/3.0 can be used as the primary control and data interface to the board, enabling data rates sufficient to handle many CV and AI applications at near-streaming throughput.
Efficient Neural Network Inference
Common Neural Network (NN) frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe) can be used for NN model development and training, with the model subsequently compiled to target the Myriad 2 device using Intel®’s OpenVINO™ toolkit. Workflows contained within the CogniSAT-TK package guide this process to reduce error. CogniSAT-XE1 leverages the broad range of pre-qualified models and layers available within OpenVINO™. Pre-trained OpenVINO™ models can be used with transfer learning, or can be deployed directly on the CogniSAT-XE1 board using the Host Control Software (HCS) which is supplied as part of the package.
A host loads NN models to the CogniSAT-XE2 board, subsequently sending image frames and receiving processing results. The host can dynamically update the CogniSAT application over the primary interface, enabling flexible runtime solutions.
Enabling an Ecosystem of Features
Ubotica supplies a range of utilities, as part of the CogniSAT-TK package, which allow the HCS supplied with CogniSAT-XE1 to operate seamlessly with most sensors currently on the market. Ubotica and our ecosystem partners are constantly expanding the set of utilities as new sensors and functions are identified.
Deployment to CogniSAT-XE1 involves the transfer of only a single configuration file, and runtime updates enable the updating of pipelines without requiring re-compiles or system reboots.
CogniSAT-XE1 has the following features:
- Part of the CogniSAT Edge Computing Platform
- PC/104 form factor
- Flight Proven Heritage
- On-board integrated latch-up protection, with auto-restart and trip signal
- Single 5V supply
- CAN interface for C&C
- CV & AI engine operating as a slave over USB 2.0/3.0 or Ethernet
- Serial NOR boot flash
- External power-down control
- Parallel and MIPI camera interfaces for direct sensor connection
- Fully compatible with the Ubotica CogniSAT Software, for complete control over AI processing
- microSD card for non-volatile data storage
- Additional on-board peripherals
- Floating Gate Dosimeter
- IMU (3D accelerometer and gyroscope)
- Operates from single 5W power supply
- Stackable 2x dual row board-edge headers for power delivery and low-level control
CogniSAT-TKTM Software Development Kit
The full feature set of the Myriad Vision Processing Unit (VPU) is exposed to facilitate the rapid development and deployment of applications to process data on-board satellite in a fast, power efficient manner.
- Fully compatible with Myriad Neural Networks developed for Intel’s OpenVINO platform.
- Runtime configuration of Myriad’s Hardware and Software CV filters for Image Transformations.
- Integrated Neural Network Supervisor
- Optimised for environments with a single Myriad VPU
- Supports both USB and Ethernet connectivity
- APIs for C/C++ and Python programming languages
|SPI||Master/slave, 3.3V logic|
|GPIO||x5, 3.3V logic|
|MIPI||4-lane CSI-2 camera I/F|
|CIF||16-lane parallel camera I/F|