AI and Computer Vision
Edge Computing Platform Specifications
The power of EdgeAI brought to cubesats
CogniSatTM AI and Computer Vision Payload Processing Board Specifications
The power of Myriad 2
brought to cubesats
The Ubotica CogniSAT-XE1TM CubeSat Board brings the power of Edge CV and AI compute acceleration to a PC/104 form-factor for smallsat and cubesat missions. It is built around the Intel® Movidius™ Myriad™ 2 Computer Vision (CV) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) COTS VPU whose 12 vector cores provide high-performance parallel and hardware accelerated compute within a low power envelope.
Widely Adaptable for AI and
Computer Vision Deployments
Flexible and Integration Ready
CogniSAT-XE1 combines the power efficient compute of the Myriad 2 VPU with a wide range of interfaces and peripherals, providing broad flexibility for integration into satellite platforms. Either Gigabit Ethernet or USB2.0/3.0 can be used as the primary control and data interface to the board, enabling data rates sufficient to handle many CV and AI applications at near-streaming throughput.
Efficient Neural Network Inference
Common NN frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, Caffe) can be used for NN model development and training, with the model subsequently targeted to CogniSAT-XE1. CogniSAT-XE1 leverages the broad range of pre-qualified models and layers available within Intel®’s OpenVINO™ toolkit. Pre-trained OpenVINO™ models can be used with transfer learning, or can be deployed directly on CogniSAT-XE1 board, via the Ubotica CogniSAT-HCS™ software.
Customisable CV and ISP Pipelines
Custom Computer Vision pipelines can easily be deployed and executed on CogniSat using the CogniSAT-TK™ software. The software supports application-specific CV and ISP pipelines that utilise a combination of the power-efficient Myriad 2 streaming hardware blocks and software filters implemented on the vector engines. Deployment to CogniSAT-XE1 involves the transfer of only a single configuration file, and runtime updates enable the updating of pipelines without requiring application re-compile or system reboot.
Dual Operational Modes
In Direct Mode, a master host communicates with the CogniSAT-XE1 to load CV and NN models to the processor, and to thereafter submit image frames to the board and receive processing results. The host can dynamically update the CogniSAT-HCS application over the primary interface, enabling flexible runtime solutions. In Custom Mode, frames from a directly connected sensor can be captured, processed and inferenced.
CogniSAT-XE1 has the following features:
- Part of the CogniSAT Edge Computing Platform
- PC/104 form factor
- Flight Proven – Technology Readiness Level – TRL9
- On-board integrated latch-up protection, with auto-restart and trip signal
- Single 5V supply
- CAN interface for C&C
- Direct operation mode → CV and AI engine as a slave over USB 2.0/3.0 or Ethernet
- Custom operation mode → CV and AI for directly interfaced sensors, control over SPI, CAN, USB or Ethernet
- All COTS components: Selected based on flight heritage and prior rad test results
- Integrated Neural Network Supervisor
- Serial NOR boot flash
- External power-down control
- Targets sub 5W power envelope and incorporates power gating
- Parallel and MIPI camera interfaces for direct sensor connection†
- microSD card for non-volatile data storage
- Additional on-board peripherals
• Floating Gate Dosimeter for radiation sensing
• IMU (3D accelerometer and gyroscope)
- Stackable 2x dual row board-edge headers for power delivery and low-level control
- Fully compatible with the Ubotica CogniSAT-TK Software, for complete control over CV and AI processing
CogniSAT-TKTM Software Development Kit
Ubotica’s CogniSAT-TK is a lightweight library for developers to bring the power of Myriad’s Computer Vision (CV) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) compute acceleration to their in-orbit applications.
The full feature set of the Myriad Vision Processing Unit (VPU) is exposed to facilitate the rapid development and deployment of applications to process data on-board satellite in a fast, power efficient manner.
- Fully compatible with Myriad Neural Networks developed for Intel’s OpenVINO platform.
- Runtime configuration of Myriad’s Hardware and Software CV filters for Image Transformations.
- Integrated Neural Network Supervisor
- Optimised for environments with a single Myriad VPU
- Supports both USB and Ethernet connectivity
- APIs for C/C++ and Python programming languages
|SPI||Master/slave, 3.3V logic|
|GPIO||x5, 3.3V logic|
|MIPI||4-lane CSI-2 camera I/F|
|CIF||16-lane parallel camera I/F|
|Size, Weight & Power|
|Nominal Power Consumption||2W (typical CV & NN example)|
|Length||94mm (98mm incl. connectors)|
|Width||90mm (99mm incl. connectors)|